At a Glance:
How can you make sure your guest room is ready with all the guest bedroom essentials? From furniture to a clean closet and a comfortable mattress, there are extra steps you can take to ensure your guests enjoy their stay. Hospitality can feel like a lost art these days, but it doesn’t have to be in your home. With intentionality, you can craft a stylish and comfortable guest room to bless your friends and family.
In this guide to guest rooms, we’ll discuss 10 guest room essentials (plus 3 bonus ideas!), recommend 6 of our favorite guest bedroom furniture pieces, offer hosting tips, and answer frequently asked questions.
To determine the top guest bedroom essentials, it can help to think like a guest. What have you experienced when staying in other people’s homes? What have you appreciated? What has been lacking? Instead of treating your guest bedroom as an overflow space or not giving it much thought at all, consider how you can keep it fully stocked with the guest room necessities that will offer your friends and family the best experience possible.
Here are 10 guest bedroom items or ideas that you can’t do without:
- Comfortable Mattress: Primarily, your guest bedroom is for sleeping, so choose a comfortable mattress. Everyone has different mattress preferences, so it may be wise to opt for a medium mattress that meet most needs. Don’t make the mistake of sticking your old, uncomfortable mattress into your guest room because it rarely gets used. Instead, create a luxurious retreat so that people will come to your home and feel rested.
- Supportive and Stylish Bed Frame: A supportive and stylish bed frame can go a long way both to offer comfort and to make your room feel finished and polished.
- Nightstand: Guests will appreciate a nightstand by the bed so they can place their phones, glasses, or water nearby while they’re sleeping.
- Rug: A rug adds texture, coziness, and warmth (literally) to your room. Especially if you have wood floors, consider adding a rug to make your guest room more inviting.
- Lamp: Lamp light is pleasant at night and in the morning, which are the two times your guest is most likely to be in their room. A lamp can help create a cozy and relaxing space, providing light for reading or just for winding down at the end of the day.
- A Clean Closet: Don’t throw everything that doesn’t have a place elsewhere in your home into your guest closet, thinking no one will notice. Your guest might have hanging clothes or may want to put away their suitcase so it’s not taking up floor space. Having a clean closet and several empty hangers is one of our must-haves for a guest bedroom.
- Storage Space: It’s easy to see the guest room as overflow storage space for your own items most of the time, but then, what is your guest supposed to do with their items? Try to leave at least two open drawers and clear any clutter off the top of the dresser so your guest has a place to put their things.
- Mirror: Just like it’s nice to have a mirror in your own bedroom to check yourself before you head out for the day, a guest will enjoy this too. It can also help with getting ready when the bathroom is in use.
- Extra Pillows and Blankets: Make sure your guests feel comfortable and cozy by providing extra pillows and bedding. Some guests don’t want to inconvenience you by asking for extras, but you can anticipate their needs ahead of time.
- Trash Can: Don’t forget to put a trash can in your guest room. It’s one of the most overlooked guest bedroom necessities because you don’t frequent the room every day, but your guest is going to need a place to throw their trash away without walking down the hallway.
Bonus Guest Room Ideas:
If you want to up your hospitality game even more, consider these 3 bonus guest bedroom essentials.
✓ Welcome Basket: It is fun to get an unexpected gift! You can fill this with necessities like toiletries, treats like chocolate truffles or granola bars, or practical items like a water bottle and band-aids.
✓ Reading Material: Placing a variety of reading material in your guest room is a nice touch! Consider offering a magazine or two, two novels, and two nonfiction books.
✓ Desk or Vanity: Especially for long-term guests, a desk for getting work done or a vanity for getting ready when the bathroom is occupied can elevate the guest experience quite a bit.
→ Learn more: A Guide to Decorating with Metallic Silver
Rick Queen Bed
This rustic queen sleigh bed will add warmth and style to your guest bedroom. It makes a statement with its wide planked head- and footboard, and it can translate into a number of design styles from rustic to coastal to farmhouse.
A nightstand is so convenient, and this one is also unique and stylish. A marble countertop contrasts the wood and black elements to create a one-of-a-kind piece. This would fit into a luxurious glam bedroom design or a contemporary or modern one.
Beauty 3 Piece Vanity Set (Cappuccino)
A vanity set can add another space for storage and can be a super practical addition to enhance your guest’s stay. This simple set offers 1 storage large drawer and storage bench without taking up too much space. It can easily adapt to a number of design styles and even make your guest room more usable for you when you aren’t hosting, making this one of the guest bedroom essentials!
Retreat 6 Piece Queen Bedroom Set
Furnishing a whole room? For larger guest room essentials, you can offer more storage with this 6 piece bedroom set. The mango wood offers warmth and timeless appeal. It would work well in a minimalist, Japandi, or contemporary guest bedroom design. The two storage drawers under the bed offer you a place to store items so that you can leave the nightstand and the majority of the dresser drawers free for your guests.
Frankie 6 Piece Queen Bedroom Set
Another option for a larger guest room, this set gives your guest bedroom a fun and funky mid-century modern feel. Because you (and your guests) aren’t spending all of the time in your guest bedroom, it is a room where you can take a risk with a bolder design. This gray and white two-tone furniture set is unique while still offering a restful spot for guests to sleep.
Chris 6 Piece Queen Bedroom Set
This rustic bedroom set is cozy and inviting, and the upholstered and button-tufted headboard adds a touch of luxury. Your guests will have plenty of storage, and it comes with a mirror–one of our must haves! This set is perfect for a cozy farmhouse, rustic, or casual design.
→ Learn more: 6 Best Wood Dining Tables Perfect for Holiday Gatherings
Perhaps you want to start opening up your home more often, but you’re not sure where to start. Check out these 5 hosting tips to make your guests feel at home and at ease:
➤ Stock Up on Your Guests Favorite Snacks: If you can, find out what your family or friends’ favorite snacks are so that you can stock up on their favorites. When you’re away from home, a favorite snack can be comforting, and it feels very thoughtful to know your host planned with you in mind.
➤ Make Snacks, Fruit, and Coffee Easily Available: Some guests will feel uncomfortable rummaging around in your pantry, even if you’ve given them the green light to do so, but most people feel comfortable taking something that’s sitting out on the countertop. Make sure you have snacks, fruit, and coffee visible and available so guests don’t have to feel shy when they need a little caffeine or a snack.
➤ Supply Extra Towels and Linens: Supply extra towels and linens so that your guests don’t have to ask when they need more. Place a basket of towels of various sizes in the bathroom and a basket with linens (extra sheet set, pillowcases, and a throw blanket or two) in your guest bedroom.
➤ Set Out Games and Other Activities: If you set out games and other activities, you might spark impromptu time together that you wouldn't have had if your games were tucked away in a closet. Everyone is more likely to get involved and get off their phones when there’s a stack of games on the coffee table.
➤ Stock the Bathroom (or a Welcome Basket) with the Essentials: As we mentioned earlier, a welcome basket can ensure that your guests have everything they need. In lieu of a basket, make sure that your bathroom (including the shower) is stocked with essential toiletries.
By planning ahead of time and putting yourself in the shoes of your guests, you can offer them the gift of a relaxing and oasis-like guest room. Stocking your guest room with all the essentials is a way to serve and care for your guests well–and to make them want to come back again. A simple way to start is to furnish your guest room with stylish and comfortable furniture from Walker Furniture. We offer the best selection of quality and affordable furniture in Nevada to make your guest bedroom feel warm and inviting. Stop by one of our Las Vegas locations today to start curating a welcoming guest room today.
What to put in a guest room?
Like any other bedroom, you’ll need a comfortable mattress, bed frame, and a nightstand. If your guest room is large enough, it can be great to include extra storage like a dresser and desk.
How to decorate a guest room?
Decorate a guest room to be comfortable, stylish, and inviting. You can go for a bolder design because it’s a room that isn’t used all the time, but remember that you want to create a restful space for your guests, so don’t choose anything that’s too busy or overstimulating.
How to be a good host?
Being a good host doesn’t have to be complicated. Take some time to think about your experiences as a guest and to consider what your guest needs most. Provide extra towels and linens, curate a cozy space, and thoughtfully stock up on their favorite items.
Where can I find guest room furniture near me?
Walker Furniture offers a wide variety of stylish and well-made guest room furniture for every budget for Las Vegas shoppers.
Walker Furniture and Mattress has been providing incredible customer service and top furniture expertise to the Las Vegas area for over 67 years. This locally owned furniture store has a humble beginning as a mattress builder in the Chicago area since the 1900’s which blossomed into a booming legacy of selling furniture and mattresses. in 1973, Deanne and Oscar Alterwitz purchased Walker Furniture from original owners, Ruth and George Walker.
Walker Furniture helps Las Vegas and Henderson homeowners and renters find the best living room, dining, and bedroom furniture selections to complete their homes. Complete with mattresses, living room furniture, patio decor, and home office furniture. We invite you to see all that Walker Furniture has to offer for yourself!
Shop Guest Bedroom Essentials at Walker Furniture & Mattress
Stop by any of our 3 Las Vegas furniture locations or our Henderson, NV furniture store to see what a difference buying locally with an experienced staff can make. Or shop bedroom furniture online! Our friendly experts are always happy to help you create an inviting and stylish guest room — whether you call us at 702-384-9300, use our online chat feature, or visit us in person.
→ Learn more: Stylish Leather Sectional Looks